Bring smart, enthusiastic and fresh thinking into your R&D activities with support provided by undergraduate students in their summer break.
19 April 2018
The Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment, Inland Revenue and Callaghan Innovation have designed an R&D tax incentive proposal and are seeking input into the design process. Read more...
How can the grant help me?
The R&D Experience Grant is an internship designed as work experience during the student summer break.
The student is expected to help you with an R&D project or activity.
How does it work?
Your business will receive funding of $7,200 (plus GST) for 400 hours of full-time work upon proof of your payment to the student.
Who can apply?
To apply for an R&D Experience Grant, your business must be one of the following:
- Registered under the Companies Act.
- Registered under the Limited Partnerships Act.
- A Māori incorporation or trust established under the Te Ture Whenua Māori Act, a trust set up to manage assets as part of a Treaty of Waitangi settlement, a Māori statutory body, or a business controlled by one or more of these entities.
To qualify, your business must also:
- Have an active R&D programme i.e. a R&D budget and R&D staff
- Meet financial due diligence requirements.
To be eligible for an R&D Experience Grant internship, students must:
- Be studying a bachelor degree, a graduate diploma or certificate, a bachelor honours degree, a postgraduate diploma or certificate, or con-joint undergraduate degrees. If graduated, this must have been in the last 6 months.
- Be studying science, technology, engineering, design or business at a New Zealand tertiary education institute.
- Be legally permitted to work in New Zealand.
- Not have been previously employed at the business in a position related to their area of study, or doing R&D.
Applications are open from April to September (inclusive). Talk to us and we’ll help you through the process. Phone Callaghan Innovation on 0800 4 CALLAGHAN (0800 422 552).
Students apply directly to businesses. Businesses will advertise their R&D Experience Grant internships from April. Students may find internships through:
- University Career Hub
- The University of Waikato Cooperative Education Unit
- AUT interNZ
- University of Auckland's MyCDES Job board
- Job advertising sites such as Seek and Trade Me
- Internship facilitators such as Summer of Tech
- Tertiary institution research and enterprise offices.
R&D Experience Grant guides
Experience Grant - Application Guidelines and Template
Experience Grant - Annual Grant Quota Guide
Experience Grant - Where to find a student
Experience Grant - Information for Students
Experience Grant - Funding Agreement Example
Experience Grant - Post Approval Checklist
Experience Grant - Report Example
Answers to frequently asked questions about Experience Grants can be found at Student Grant FAQs.
For more information, contact us.
Updated: 11 May 2018