Bring smart, enthusiastic and fresh thinking into your R&D activities with support provided by undergraduate students in the summer break before or after their final year of study.
How can the grant help me?
The R&D Experience Grant is an internship designed to suit work experience during the summer student break.
The student is expected to help you with a discrete R&D project or activity.
How does it work?
Your business will receive funding of $7,200 (plus GST) for 400 hours of work upon proof of your payment to the student.
We facilitate an annual request for funding applications to identify the best commercial R&D opportunities for New Zealand students.
Participating businesses are advised in August of the R&D they have funding for and how many students they can recruit.
Who can apply?
To apply for an R&D Experience Grant, your business must be one of the following:
- Registered under the Companies Act.
- Registered under the Limited Partnerships Act.
- A Māori incorporation or trust established under the Te Ture Whenua Māori Act, a trust set up to manage assets as part of a Treaty of Waitangi settlement, a Māori statutory body, or a business controlled by one or more of these entities.
To qualify, your business must also:
- Have an active R&D programme i.e. a R&D budget and dedicated R&D staff
- Meet financial due diligence requirements.
To be eligible for an R&D Experience Grant placement, students must:
- Have completed their first year of an undergraduate or honours degree, a postgraduate diploma or certificate, or co-joint undergraduate degrees. If graduated, this must have been in the last 12 months.
- Be studying science, technology, engineering, design or business at a New Zealand tertiary education institute.
- Be a New Zealand citizen or resident or hold a relevant visa.
- Not have been previously employed at the business.
- Not have been previously employed in the industry under a professional arrangement unless temporary (up to 3 months).
How do I apply?
Businesses can apply for R&D Experience Grants from May to June. See key dates below for more information.
Talk to us and we’ll help you through the process. Phone Callaghan Innovation on 0800 4 CALLAGHAN (0800 422 552).
If you would like to be notified when applications open, please email email@example.com to be added to the email circulation list.
Businesses will advertise their R&D Experience Grant placements from early August. Students can find placements through:
- University Career Hub
- The University of Waikato Cooperative Education Unit
- AUT interNZ
- Job advertising sites such as Seek and Trade Me
- Internship advertising sites such as Summer of Tech
- Polytechnic research and enterprise offices
- The successful businesses receiving grants
For more information, please read the supporting documents below.
(Please note that these may be subject to change)
|17 May 2017||Applications open|
|15 June 2017||Applications close|
|7 August 2017||Applicants notified of application outcome|
|1 December 2017||Last date for businesses to recruit a student|
|31 March 2018||R&D Experience student internships finish|
Information related to the 2017/18 R&D Experience Grant will be made available soon.
For more information, contact us.
Updated: 18 April 2017