Bring smart, enthusiastic and fresh thinking into your R&D activities with support provided by undergraduate students in their summer break.
How can the grant help me?
The R&D Experience Grant is an internship designed as work experience during the student summer break.
The student is expected to help you with an R&D project or activity.
How does it work?
Your business will receive funding of $7,200 (plus GST) for 400 hours of full-time work upon proof of your payment to the student.
Who can apply?
To apply for an R&D Experience Grant, your business must be one of the following:
- Registered under the Companies Act.
- Registered under the Limited Partnerships Act.
- A Māori incorporation or trust established under the Te Ture Whenua Māori Act, a trust set up to manage assets as part of a Treaty of Waitangi settlement, a Māori statutory body, or a business controlled by one or more of these entities.
To qualify, your business must also:
- Have an active R&D programme i.e. a R&D budget and dedicated R&D staff
- Meet financial due diligence requirements.
To be eligible for an R&D Experience Grant placement, students must:
- Have completed their first year of an undergraduate or honours degree, a postgraduate diploma or certificate, or co-joint undergraduate degrees. If graduated, this must have been in the last 12 months.
- Be studying science, technology, engineering, design or business at a New Zealand tertiary education institute.
- Be a New Zealand citizen or resident or hold a relevant visa.
- Not have been previously employed at the business.
- Not have been previously employed in the industry under a professional arrangement unless temporary (up to 3 months).
Business applications have closed for 2017/18. 139 businesses have been awarded R&D Experience Grants: Businesses awarded 2017/18 R&D Experience Grants (PDF, 145.7 KB)
For more information on 2018/19, please see the key dates below.
Students apply directly to businesses. Businesses will advertise their R&D Experience Grant internships from May. Students may find internships through:
- University Career Hub
- The University of Waikato Cooperative Education Unit
- AUT interNZ
- University of Auckland's MyCDES Job board
- Job advertising sites such as Seek and Trade Me
- Internship facilitators such as Summer of Tech
- Polytechnic research and enterprise offices
- The successful businesses receiving grants - use the R&D Grant Recipient tool to find out who these businesses are.
For more information, please read the guides below.
|31 March 2018||R&D Experience student internships finish for 2017/18|
|April 2018||Business applications open for 2018/19|
Experience Grant guides
Guidelines - R&D Experience Grant 2017
Guidelines: Portal (IMS) Users - R&D Experience Grant
R&D Experience Grant - Quick Facts for Businesses
R&D Experience Grant - Quick Facts for Students
R&D Experience Grant - Funding Agreement Example
R&D Experience Grant - Post Approval Checklist
R&D Experience Grant - Report Example
R&D Experience Grant - 2017 Student Details Form
For more information, contact us.
Updated: 13 February 2018