Callaghan Innovation’s is a Crown agency (pursuant to the Callaghan Innovation Act 2012). Amongst other legislation, Callaghan Innovation is subject to the Privacy Act 1993 and the Official Information Act 1982 (OIA).
Scope and purpose
Collection of personal information
Personal information may be collected directly from a user when that user:
- Registers to use the Website;
- Emails an enquiry;
- Adds a comment to any of Callaghan Innovation’s social network accounts;
- Registers or attends an event;
- Uses a Callaghan Innovation service;
- Subscribes to Callaghan Innovation’s news feeds;
- Gives feedback;
- Lodges a complaint
Callaghan Innovation also collects non-identifiable information about users’ interaction with Callaghan Innovation’s information technology systems. This includes use of the Website and web services and emails sent to/from Callaghan Innovation’s information technology systems.
Callaghan Innovation uses analytics to analyse web traffic based on specific behaviour, demographic, and interest data. Callaghan Innovation may collect statistical information about visits to the Website, including:
- IP addresses (masked);
- search terms used;
- pages accessed from the Website and clicks on links;
- dates and times at which the Website is accessed;
- the referring site (if any) through which the Website is accessed;
- operating systems (e.g. Windows, Mac OS X); and
- web browsers (eg Microsoft Internet Explorer or Edge, Google Chrome or Apple Safari).
The data collected is aggregated and is not personally identifiable. IP addresses are masked so that they cannot be used to identify individuals and analytics will also respect any “do not track” settings on web browsers.
Use of personal information
Any information collected by Callaghan Innovation may be used for the following purposes:
- administering and/or improving the Website;
- improving Callaghan Innovation’s services;
- market research and data analysis;
- communicating with users;
- investigating and/or responding to a user’s complaint or enquiry;
- future marketing, promotional and publicity purposes;
- to provide further information to Users about other websites and services that Callaghan Innovation considers may be of interest to Users; and/or
- such other use as a user authorises.
Disclosure of personal information
Callaghan Innovation will only share personal information with other companies or individuals in the following limited circumstances:
- to any third-party contractor to the extent necessary for that third-party contractor to achieve any of the purposes listed above on Callaghan Innovation’s behalf;
- where Callaghan Innovation has the user’s consent;
- to improve cyber security;
- if Callaghan Innovation believes giving the information will help prevent or resolve fraud, money laundering, unauthorised access to or attacks on Callaghan Innovation’s information technology systems or other crimes. Callaghan Innovation may give this information even if the user is not involved in malicious activity; and
- to comply with law in New Zealand or overseas
- is to be used for statistical or research purposes and will not be published in a form that could reasonably be expected to identify the individual concerned.
Storage of personal information
Callaghan Innovation will take all reasonable steps, and maintain processes, to prevent unauthorised access to, or use of, the personal and other information Callaghan Innovation collects. In most cases, Callaghan Innovation uses the HTTPS protocol for secure communication of Callaghan Innovation pages over the Internet.
Any personal information provided to Callaghan Innovation will be collected and held by, or on behalf of, Callaghan Innovation at Callaghan Innovation, 69 Gracefield Road, Lower Hutt, 5040 and/or at cloud providers or data centres used by Callaghan Innovation (Callaghan Innovation may use cloud providers or data centres (whether in New Zealand or overseas), to manage and store personal and other information it collects, and will ensure that any storage on such a platform provides adequate security measures).
Links to social networking services
Callaghan Innovation uses social networking services to communicate with the public about Callaghan Innovation’s work. When users interact with Callaghan Innovation via these services, the social networking services may collect users’ personal information for their own purposes. These services may track users’ use of the Website on those pages where their links are displayed. If a user is logged in to those services while using the Website, their tracking will be associated with that user’s profile with those services.
Such services have their own privacy policies which users should read.
Your rights and choices
Upon request, Callaghan Innovation will provide users with access to any information held about them. If such information is inaccurate, Callaghan Innovation will correct it. To contact Callaghan Innovation for access or correction please see our contact details. Users can also ask to be removed from any of Callaghan Innovation’s subscription lists at any time.