Student Grants

Student Grant FAQs

Back to top

How do I find a student or graduate to work in my business?

Experience Grant

The organisations below can assist you with finding the right student for your R&D project.

For more detail about these organisations, see our guide on PDF icon Where to Find A Student (PDF).

Career Grant

Contact the university department that best fits your R&D activity. The head of the graduate school is often a good starting point. Alternatively, you can advertise directly through:

Back to top

Can I apply for the grant first then look for a suitable student?

Only for R&D Experience Grants. For Career Grants, you must have identified a suitable student before applying for the grant.

Back to top

To be eligible a business must have an ‘active R&D programme’. What does this mean?

This means that the business must have:

  • An in-house R&D programme
  • a recent history of R&D activities over the preceding year and an R&D plan for the upcoming year; and
  • a minimum of one R&D full time equivalent (FTE) employed by the business.

Back to top

How many Student Grants can I apply for?

Depending on the size and capability of its R&D team, a business may receive multiple Student Experience Grants at any one time.

If you have a student on board now, funded by a Career  Grant, you can’t apply for another. In other words, if you currently have a Career student grant that was approved prior to 30 June 2022, you cannot apply for another. However, if that student grant finishes, then you are able to able to apply for one further Career grant student for the year 1 July 2022 - 30 June 2023.

PDF icon Check out our guide to the number of students permitted per business

Back to top

Are international students eligible for R&D Student Grants?

Experience Grant

International students studying in New Zealand may be eligible provided they have a valid visa allowing the student to work in New Zealand for the duration of the internship.

The business is responsible for ensuring that the student can legally work in New Zealand before they start work.

Career Grant

Some international students may be eligible for an R&D Career internship provided they received their masters or PhD from a NZ university and they have a valid visa allowing them to work in New Zealand for the duration of the placement.

The business is responsible for ensuring that the graduate can legally work in New Zealand before they start work.

Back to top

What happens if the student withdraws from the work?

If circumstances change it is very important that you advise us. We’ll consider the impact of the changes on the grant criteria and discuss these with you.

Back to top

Does the student have to work full-time at the business?

Experience Grant students and Career Grant graduates must work full-time at the business for the duration of the placement.

Back to top

Who is the primary contact for updates about the grant and the project?

The business is the primary contact, however, the student may also contact us at any time to discuss issues related to the grant and/or the project.

Contact us through our Customer Support Page.

Back to top

What reporting is required about the grant?

The business provides progress reports to Callaghan Innovation, and a final report about the student’s involvement in the project (all grants). These reports are short and in the form of survey questions.

We may require the business and student to complete a survey after the completion of the grant from time to time. The survey will help to inform the design of future R&D grants.

Updated: 21 July 2022