The current round is now closed for applications - the next round will open in early 2024.
Supporting world-leading innovation that can deliver benefits beyond your business and customers, by inspiring and enabling other innovators to pursue innovative new ideas and opportunities too.
Are you an innovation trailblazer?
Does your business believe that cooperation is as crucial as competition when it comes to making Aotearoa New Zealand a place where innovation thrives?
Are you currently developing a world-leading innovation that could help bring about more innovation in Aotearoa New Zealand, by inspiring and enabling other innovators to seize new ideas and opportunities of their own?
Would you like up to $4 million to help take your innovation to market, along with the recognition and esteem that will come from being awarded the title “Ārohia Innovation Trailblazer?”
Or, if you’re not quite ready to shoot for the top tier funding and trailblazer title yet, could you benefit from up to $25,000 to help you advance your innovation, and get better prepared to apply in the future?
What's the focus of this grant?
The Ārohia Innovation Trailblazer Grant is about supporting world-leading innovation that can deliver benefits beyond your business and customers, by inspiring and enabling other innovators to pursue innovative new ideas and opportunities too.
We’re not talking about wider social, economic or environmental benefits here, even though these may well result from your innovation.
Rather, the focus is on benefits for the “innovation ecosystem”, i.e. the network of people, organisations and resources in Aotearoa New Zealand that together enable innovative ideas to be formed, supported, adopted and spread.
You’re welcome to refer to wider benefits if you apply, to provide context and help us understand your vision, but please note they won’t be assessed and won’t impact the outcome of your application.
Before you apply
Important points to be aware of if you’re interested in applying:
The Ārohia Innovation Trailblazer Grant supports:
- Non-R&D activities. If you want support towards R&D, check out the RDTI or New to R&D Grant.
- Innovation that you haven't yet taken to market. If you've already taken your innovation to market and you're looking to expand internationally, check the support available from NZTE. Find out more about what we mean by "not yet in market."
Funding available under both grants is provided on a co-funded basis. This means you must also contribute towards the costs of eligible activities.
- You will have up to 6 months to arrange your share of the co-funding. This needn’t all be cash in the bank, it can include contractual agreements to provide payments over the period of your innovation project.
- The Ārohia Full Grant is a contestable grant. This means only the best applicants in each application round will be successful, and we may decide not to award any grants in a particular round, if no application is assessed as having sufficient merit.
- The Ārohia Seed Grant is currently non-contestable. This means applicants who meet the required eligibility and assessment criteria will receive funding. The Ārohia Seed Grant may become contestable in future depending on demand.
- It’s not compulsory to apply for the Ārohia Seed Grant before applying for the Ārohia Full Grant. If you’re confident the Ārohia Full Grant is right for you, you’re welcome to bypass the Ārohia Seed Grant.