This article was published on 13 June 2018
Callaghan Innovation in collaboration with Agritech New Zealand and the Silicon Valley Forum is leading a business delegation to the Agritech Immersion Programme and Conference from 27- 31 August 2018 near Silicon Valley.
About the delegation
This will be the third year that the Silicon Valley Forum has run this programme with New Zealand companies attending. It has evolved into an international event that brings agritech innovators, start-ups, leading organisations, investors, farmers, universities, governments and industry experts together to share their knowledge on a range of topics.
The programme will allow attendees to connect with the latest trends, challenges and opportunities in the US market in horticulture and cropping. While visiting a range of locations through the Silicon Valley, the group will see innovative farming techniques that will include:
- Sustainable Agriculture
- Water technology innovations
- Automation on farm/in orchard
- Artificial Intelligence
- Advanced sensor technology
- Big Data and digitisation
- Mega City Farming.
Delegates will be able to:
- Validate technology, market and business strategies for the US market
- Learn new technology, latest trends, business models and strategies in this market
- Connect with potential partners, technology providers and investors
- Identify new market opportunities
- Understand, capabilities across New Zealand for developing tech products through pre-visit preparation workshops
- Better understand technology fit when looking to 'go global'
- Create valuable connections with other NZ agribusinesses and build global connections.
Callaghan Innovation invites New Zealand companies to register to join the delegation. We are looking for companies who want to be leaders in agritech innovation and have a technology solution suitable for horticulture or cropping. We are looking for a diverse mix of agritech businesses, some will be existing exporters looking to learn about new technologies and some will be early stage businesses who are looking to 'go global'. All delegates will need to have clear objectives for joining the delegation, and the capability to apply and implement what they learn on their return to New Zealand.
As a member of the New Zealand delegation, participating companies will benefit from:
- A preparation workshop and individual 1:1 sessions prior to departure to ensure they hit the ground running
- Networking with a range of New Zealand Agritech businesses
- Customised in-market New Zealand programme on the last day that connects into the US market through Silicon Valley (ie Innovation Eco-system, investor connections)
- Specific event booking and hotel booking instructions to ensure the New Zealand delegation stays connected
- Transportation and logistics arrangements over the 5 days.
- Discounted registration code for Kiwi companies.
There is co-funding of NZD$3,500 available from Callaghan Innovation for a limited number of companies which is targeted at early stage businesses (NZ registered) who have not attended this programme before. This co-funding amount covers approximately 50% of costs for international travel, accommodation and registration.
When: 27–31 August 2018
Where: San Francisco, San Jose, Salinas, Fresno
The programme includes:
- 1-day Preparation Workshop in Hamilton, 31 July 2018 (Compulsory for co-funded companies)
- Sunday, 26 August NZ networking reception (evening) in San Jose
- Monday, 27-29 August Immersion Programme – San Jose, Salinas and Fresno
- Thursday, 30 August International Agtech capabilities conference
- Friday, 31 August NZ focussed day – Understanding how NZ Agritech companies can connect into the US through this region. De-brief and planning session. The programme concludes mid-afternoon.
For further details, see the programme brochure: 2018 Seeds of our Future immersion program brochure
- Return Flights to San Francisco, approx. $2,500
- Hotel accommodation for minimum of 5 nights, approx. $1,500
- Immersion Programme and Conference costs: approx. $3,130 ($2,200 USD)
Most of the transport and food costs will be covered through the week so this will be minimal over the 5 days.
The deadline for applications was 2 July 2018. For more information and to join the delegation on a self-funded basis please contact our International Team.