This article was published on 30 June 2021
This is the central reference point for our current service status and support measures amid COVID-19. It also provides information on other government support measures for businesses.
Current service status
All of New Zealand is at Alert Level 1 and our services continue as usual.
For ongoing Callaghan Innovation service status updates through Alert Level changes, please check this page regularly. You can also contact us on 0800 422 552 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Callaghan Innovation support & initiatives
Updated R&D Tax Incentive (RDTI) support
The R&D Tax Incentive supports businesses to do R&D, and includes refundability options to provide extra cashflow support to R&D-performing businesses. More loss-making businesses now qualify to have their 15% R&D tax credit refunded in cash. For further information, contact your Callaghan Innovation relationship manager or visit the RDTI Hub website.
General R&D Advice and Support
If you have any concerns about your R&D grants, Tech Incubator Startup Repayable Loans and general R&D programme, please contact your Callaghan Innovation relationship manager or email@example.com.
Innovation Skills Programmes
A strong business and innovation base can help businesses come out of this crisis stronger. We are continuously developing and/or piloting new programmes to address capability gaps in product development and product-market fit.
Our current Innovation Skills programmes that can help businesses accelerate or pivot are:
- Innovation IP will help you identify and strategically manage IP
- Lean will help you eliminate waste and improve your customer experience.
- Digital Lean will help you build upon your Lean foundations and boost your competitive advantage through the use of Industry 4.0 technologies
- Capital Education will help startups understand the NZ capital raising process.
Connect to the COVID-19 Response
Our digital networking platform, Scale-Up NZ, makes it faster and easier for ambitious businesses to find and connect with the people, capital and other help they need to innovate and grow, both here and offshore. Over 200 businesses on the platform now feature a “coronavirus” tag, identifying them as having COVID-19 response capability. Head here to learn more.
Key Events Updates
For all Callaghan Innovation event updates please visit our news and events section.
Other COVID-19 Government Support for Businesses
There are a number of COVID-19 financial support schemes available to businesses, depending on your situation. Please visit the website links to see the status of the support options as most are specific to certain Alert Level changes. These include:
Short-Term Absence Payment
The COVID-19 Short-Term Absence Payment is available for businesses, including self-employed people, to help pay their workers who cannot work from home while they wait for a COVID-19 test result. Find out more on the Work and Income website.
Leave Support Scheme
The Leave Support Scheme covers eligible workers, including the self-employed, who can’t work from home and meet certain health criteria, e.g. they have COVID-19 or are a ‘close contact’ who has been told to self-isolate for 14 days. Find out more on the Work and Income website.
New Wage Subsidy
Information about a new Wage Subsidy to help businesses whose revenue has reduced because of moving to COVID-19 Alert Level 3 is available soon on the Work and Income website.
Register here to find out when applications open
Resurgence Support Payment
Inland Revenue’s Resurgence Support Payment helps businesses across the country affected by Alert Level increases. For more information visit the Resurgence Support Payment page.
Find out more about your eligibility for support and how to apply at business.govt.nz.
Regional Business Partner Network support
The RBP network is a government initiative to support small and medium-sized enterprises that are looking to grow and innovate. Find out about its support for businesses impacted by COVID-19 on the Regional Business Partner website.
The government-funded Digital Boost programme is offering small business owners a step up with free online courses on going digital. The free online courses will help bring Kiwi businesses up to speed with the latest digital tools, helping them to improve productivity and gain more time, freedom and sales.
There are a number of government websites that have useful information about economic recovery activity and how to access it.
- For updates on COVID-19 support information visit the Government’s Unite against COVID-19 website.
- Business.govt.nz also provides information on COVID-19 support specific for NZ, and The Kiwi Business Boost helps with business information and support, including COVID-19 guidance, tailored to your business needs.
- Business.govt.nz, Chambers of Commerce, RBPs and other local support agencies are running a series of webinars for businesses.
- Travel information for all travellers, student visa holders, migrant workers and employers can be found here.
- ATEED’s Digital Assessment Tool will help you identify your website, marketing, people and digital needs, and understand the path to digital success.