This article was published on 13 March 2019
Are you in the market for additional staff to augment your current R&D team or access new skills to advance your product innovation? Callaghan Innovation's Student Grants are a great way to access new expertise or take on a blue-sky project.
The Callaghan Innovation Student Grants Roadshow is an opportunity for you to hear directly from local businesses about the impact student engagement can have on your business. Co-hosted by the University of Canterbury and Callaghan Innovation, the evening will provide you with the following opportunities:
• hear from local business leaders on how students have assisted their R&D programs
• understand what support is available via Callaghan Innovation
• network with other innovative local businesses
• option to tour the recently updated engineering, science, business & health facilities.
Presenting companies will include Synlait, Orbica, Syft Technologies and Digital Emotions (a.k.a Kin2Kin).
Multiple attendees per company are welcome. This event is recommended for founders, business leaders, HR and R&D managers.
Agenda - Tuesday, 9 April 2019
|4.00pm||Optional facility tours - for companies interested in seeing the new engineering, science, business & health facilities|
|5.00pm||Arrival and networking|
|5.30pm||Introduction by University of Canterbury, Deputy Vice-Chancellor Ian Wright|
|5.40pm||Company speakers followed by Q & A panel session|
|6.20pm||Overview of available Callaghan Innovation funding support schemes|
|6.30pm||Networking with refreshments provided|
• Learn more about our student grants and what they can do for you on our website
• Ready to apply for a Student Grant? Contact your Callaghan Innovation relationship manager or contact us on: 0800 422 552; firstname.lastname@example.org
Student Grants are a great way of bringing in new expertise or taking on a blue-sky project
• R&D Experience Grants (Undergraduate Students): This summer internship covers the cost of 10 weeks of employment ($7,200 + GST) for students studying science, technology, engineering, design or business courses at an NZQA 7-8 tertiary level. You can apply for multiple students. Please note applications are open from April to July and will be assessed on an on-demand basis.
• R&D Fellowships Grants (Masters & PhD Students): Engage a science, technology or engineering student to work on a research project for your company as part of their thesis. They spend part of their time with you and part time at university working on a business problem you have. We provide up to $26k p.a. stipend, as an incentive for students to join on.
• R&D Career Grants (Masters & PhD Graduates): We provide up to $30k (Masters) and up to $35k (PhD) to meet the first six months of you bringing a new (science, technology, engineering, design or business) graduate Masters or PhD onboard.
Eligibility and considerations:
Company eligibility requirements:
To apply for an R&D Experience Grant, your business must be one of the following:
• registered under the Companies Act
• registered under the Limited Partnerships Act
• a Māori incorporation or trust established under the Te Ture Whenua Māori Act, a trust set up to manage assets as part of a Treaty of Waitangi settlement, a Māori statutory body, or a business controlled by one or more of these entities.
To qualify, your business must also:
• have an active R&D programme i.e. a R&D budget and R&D staff
• meet financial due diligence requirements.
Student eligibility requirements:
Student eligibility requirements vary between the three programs – please visit Student grants for further information.
How many students can you apply for?
Student grant eligibility numbers are based on the size of your R&D team as your ability to support them in their role is key to project success and is a core consideration in our assessment process. As a general guide you can have one student per two R&D full time equivalent (FTE), except where you have only one R&D FTE in which case you can have one student. Please see the Number of Grants per Business Guide below for more information.
How do you apply?
As with all grant applications these are done via our online investment management system (IMS). Fellowship and Career Grants are available at any time – R&D Experience Grants are available for application from Apri. We will generally aim to have these turned around within three weeks of application. We encourage you to apply soon for R&D Experience Grants before all the talented students are snapped up.
For more information please contact your Callaghan Innovation relationship manager or contact us on 0800 422 552 or email@example.com