Are you in the early stages of, or new to, R&D? A Getting Started Grant will give you a kick-start to help you take your product, process or service solution from development through to commercialisation.
How can the grant help me?
The Getting Started Grant is designed to help you:
- Launch your R&D activities to create a competitive edge
- Navigate through R&D roadblocks – whether its troubleshooting, basic prototyping, project planning, technical feasibility studies, development of an Intellectual Property strategy or determining product specifications and user requirements
- Access technical expertise to support you in taking your development in the right direction.
How does it work?
Your business will:
- Receive 40% of your eligible R&D project costs, up to $5,000 (based on a quotation)
- Only receive funding for R&D done in New Zealand
- Receive a one-off payment on completion of the project.
Who can apply?
To apply for a Getting Started Grant, your business must be one of the following:
- Registered under the Companies Act.
- Registered under the Limited Partnerships Act.
- A Māori incorporation or trust established under the Te Ture Whenua Māori Act, a trust set up to manage assets as part of a Treaty of Waitangi settlement, a Māori statutory body, or a business controlled by one or more of these entities.
Your business must also meet financial and due diligence requirements to qualify.
Getting Started Grants guides
Getting Started Grant application template
How do I apply?
Getting Started Grants are delivered through our Regional Business Partner network. Talk to your local advisor and they’ll help you through the process, or call us and we’ll connect you. You can apply at any time.
The Getting Started grant allowed us to quickly get the required testing completed and reduced some financial risk associated with developing a new product.
Michael Lawley, Owner - Ecolnnovation
Updated: 1 April 2019