Rukuhia te wāhi ngaro, hei maunga tātai whetū.
We’re a small group of passionate professionals who understand Māori businesses and see innovation as a crucial pathway to success for Māori.
We’re here to tautoko your business by connecting you to the right research and development (R&D) services and co-funding, and the right opportunities and networks, to help you innovate, commercialise and grow faster.
E hara taku toa i te toa takitahi, engari he toa takitini.
Who we help
- All entities, iwi organisations, land trusts, incorporations and businesses that self-identify as Māori.
- Companies acquired by Māori as major shareholders.
Māori are enjoying a stellar year of innovation, with record numbers engaging in R&D, and making up nearly half the finalists in this year’s New Zealander of the Year Awards.
Are you eligible?
We need more Māori businesses to invest in and pursue innovation, commercialisation and growth.
If you are ready, willing and able for R&D, our team is here to help.
You will need:
- A clear commercial proposition and pathway to market for your innovation/product.
- A clear project plan requiring R&D to create the innovation (we can help with this).
- To be ready, willing and able to finance the R&D, then take it to market.
Note: If you are not yet at this stage, please visit one of our Regional Business Partners.
Our services and initiatives
Below are links to some of the initiatives and services available to eligible businesses.
Connect with other Māori businesses and work alongside Callaghan Innovation's experts at our purpose-built hub for Māori innovators.
Matariki X - is back for 2019!
Don't miss the Māori Economy event of the year!
Matariki X is back in 2019 to inspire and empower our Māori innovators. Connect with others, share new ideas, and learn how to better manage and grow your business. Hear from a stellar line-up of 2019 keynote speakers, upskill at a Masterclass workshop, and network with Matariki’s rising entrepreneurial stars, business influencers, senior Māori leaders, economic development specialists and Government representatives.
Further insights and inspiration
- Ka tū papahū a “Kōkiri” ki Kirikiriroa
- Nuku ki te Puku - turning 'food for thought' into 'food for tech'
- Figure.nz - Find and use figures about our country, for free.
- Business.govt.nz - Tips, tools and advice for New Zealand businesses
- E Rere - The action plan for He kai kei aku ringa.
- Māui Rau: Adapting in a changing world (KPMG)
- Wish we'd thought of that: Amazing Māori innovation (Idealog)